Leidos is seeking an experienced Mechanical Engineer to be a member of our San Diego team. The position requires an active DoD security clearance. Candidate’s without clearance will not be considered.
The qualified engineer will assist with all aspects of production work related to unmanned underwater vehicles (UUVs). Candidates will be required to learn and know every step involved in the production process, from design to final assembly and test. Candidates should have hands on experience in mechanical and electrical assembly and the willingness to perform hands on assembly tasks in a shop environment when needed. Ideal candidates will also have a strong background in mechanical design and machine fabrication to support the creation of test fixtures and UUV design refinements.Qualifications:
- Must possess an active DoD Secret security clearance.
- Requires BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or Ocean Engineering and 2 – 4 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with less than 2 years of prior relevant experience.
- Skills in one or more of the following:
- Mechanical design and assembly
- Familiarity with machine fabrication
- System testing and validation
- Process documentation and report writing
- Able to develop 3D Models using Solid Works and/or Solid Edge, develop engineering documentation in accordance with ASME Y14.1000, and exhibit an understanding of the manufacturing & machining processes that relate to hardware design. In doing so, the qualified candidate shall be able to:
- Generate and maintain engineering drawings in support of manufacturing, following company drafting standards and configuration management policies.
- Generate and/or approve written integration and assembly work instructions.
- Review and sign drawings and engineering change orders (ECOs), as required.
- Develop project test plans and test procedures, provide test planning support, assist in the execution of both lab testing and at-sea testing, and generate test reports.
- The ability to quickly adapt manufacturing processes to accommodate changes in design requirements.
- Exhibit average physical mobility to move around an office or lab environment, including the ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Willingness to travel 1-2 times per year.
Leidos is a global science and technology solutions leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported pro forma annual revenues of approximately $10 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2016 after giving effect to the recently completed combination of Leidos with Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business (IS&GS). For more information, visit www.Leidos.com. The company’s diverse employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Leidos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.