Adaptive Optics Associates (AOA) - Xinetics, a Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems (NGAS) Strategic Business Venture, is seeking a dynamic Engineering Manager for its Xinetics Business Area located in Devens, MA. Northrop Grumman's Adaptive Optics Associates is a leader in developing challenging, mission critical electro-optical and opto-mechanical systems. Across its three Business Areas (Xinetics, Systems & Services and Proprietary), AOA designs, manufactures and services optical & photonic solutions world-wide for both the industrial and government markets. AOA’s Xinetics Business Area delivers optical and photonic systems for numerous applications from adaptive optical systems, deformable mirrors, wavefront sensors, precision actuators, to photonic systems that acquire and process data in real time for a variety of high availability applications. AOA Xinetics’ core capabilities also include lightweight passive and active silicon carbide optics and precision structures as well as large and small precision opto-mechanical systems supporting electronics and sophisticated controls software.AOA Xinetics customers are the U.S. Government, industrial customers, as well as U.S. defense prime and second-tier contractors. Markets for these technologies include civilian astronomy and defense ISR and Directed Energy. The Company has substantial growth opportunities in support of many U.S. Government and NGAS's business initiatives.The Engineering Manager will work with other engineering managers across the three business areas to develop and enhance critical technical capabilities that drive our businesses. The successful candidate will work closely with their direct reports and business area leaders to develop engineering talent, tools, and processes, while also working closely with peer departments in manufacturing, quality, and program management. The Engineering Manager will be responsible for delivering value through a range of disciplines including optical, systems, electrical, mechanical and software engineering in a team oriented and customer focused environment.The Engineering Manager will report directly to the AOA Xinetics Business Area Manager. This position provides a broad, exciting leadership opportunity in a high-growth, strategically important businesses for NGAS. We are looking for a successful leader with exceptional people skills, one who is valued by employees and customers alike. Our ideal candidate has developed teams, can influence and motivate them to perform at higher levels, has excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills; must be highly influential in conversation and have a record of collaborative approach with peers/peer organizations. Specifically, the details of the position are the following:Position Responsibilities:
- Working manager of 5-10 engineers of various disciplines.
- Responsible for the technical performance of the Xinetics Engineering Group.
- Work closely with and collaborate with the Business Area Manager, Program Managers and other technical personnel on quotes, proposals and responses to customer technical inquiries. Include technical analysis of RFP’s and SOW’s as well as identifying risks and appropriate risk mitigation strategies.
- Occasionally will be the primary customer technical interface while encouraging and coordinating additional relationships between the customer and AOA Xinetics. Will be required to effectively communicate technical progress to customers, senior leadership and companywide audiences.
- Attend meetings, seminars, symposiums and shows as a technical representative of AOA Xinetics.
- In collaboration with the domain specific leadership teams and AOA management, assesses strategic business opportunities, establishes strategic plans, and leads/participates in internal research and development planning and execution.
- Assist in developing strategic product plans and roadmaps, identifying required new capabilities, providing feedback on products, industry trends and customer needs.
- Works closely with AOA Xinetics leadership and compliance functions to ensure full compliance with Division, Corporate, and government policies.
- B.S. degree in Engineering and 10 years’ experience in the optical products market for Civil Space, Military Space, or Airborne applications or related fields.
- Expert knowledge of optics, optical systems and ceramic manufacturing.
- An active DOD Secret clearance.
- Have a significant history of technical achievements along with demonstrated successes in engineering supervisory and project management roles.
- Possess leadership skills to develop, organize and execute engineering activities, including building teams, and assessing technical
- Preparing and executing detailed program reviews; developing and managing engineering processes and standards; coordinating engineering services, infrastructure and tools; and planning and development of engineering budgets and staffing.
- Strong critical thinking and logical reasoning skills and the ability to apply them to solve issues and predict potential technical risks.
- Good working knowledge of desktop/laptop computers, MSOffice tools, VPN – as required to accomplish responsibilities.
- Conducts business with impeccable ethics; leads by example and fosters ethical behavior at all times. Maintains a positive and professional working environment.
- Have experience recruiting engineering talent.
- Possess superior analytical and problem-solving skills, the ability to gain internal support, operate independently with limited supervision and feedback, and the ability to establish a solid working relationship with technical staff, division managers, and peers in the business areas.
Working Environment & Physical Demands:This position is based out of Devens, MA.
- A MS degree and/or PhD in a related engineering discipline.
- TS/SCI clearances.
- Significant experience with design, build, deployment and aftermarket service of standard electro-optic systems products.
- Have implemented / improved engineering practices and processes.
- Experience with engineering product data managements (i.e. PDM) and collaborations systems.
- Travel to customer (military, industry) facilities and offices.
- Travel a few times a year to customer locations to support design and program reviews.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.