Amazon Web Services is seeking an Electrical Engineer
to become a part of our growing operations team, responsible for the design, development and continuous innovation of our rapidly expanding data center infrastructure. As part of the team you will be involved with working with the groups that comprise our Data Center Design Engineering team, but also a diverse and talented organization that includes, construction, controls, networking, planning and the list goes on. Initially, you will be supporting ongoing development efforts in a variety of fields and work closely with other mechanical, electrical and software engineers. However, as you progress in the position and learn more about our organization and infrastructure we would expect you take more of a leadership role to develop and qualify design proposals. Additionally, as part of this group you will be expected to participate in root cause analysis efforts to resolve issues as they arise, be a subject matter expert in electrical engineer
ing disciplines and have a broad working knowledge in many other fields including hardware development, mechanical engineer
ing, and amongst others.Responsibilities of the Electrical Engineer
- Work with internal teams to understand user requirements.
- Data center electrical designs and collaboration with other disciplines to create a construction document set.
- Creation of designs which meet or exceed our quality requirements and fall within our budgetary requirements.
- Work with regional vendors and manufacturers to specify the appropriate electrical equipment.
- Work with local utilities to understand and define site utility requirements.
- Work with local agencies having jurisdiction to ensure compliance with federal, state and municipal requirements and building codes.
- Review and approval of equipment submittals.
- Define project scope and provide technical support for information requests prior to, and during construction phases.
- Work with commissioning teams to properly test and validate installation, operation, and performance of electrical systems.
- Ability to work on concurrent projects in multiple geographical regions.
- Travel to sites for site review and work with onsite field engineers, as well as provide engineering evaluations, electrical systems audits, and startup as needed.
- Having fun and offering creative, out of the box solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in an electrical engineering.
- Cumulative 3-7 years of experience with industrial or commercial electrical design.
- Excellent understanding of the National Electrical Code.
- In depth understanding of critical data center electrical equipment.
- Possess leadership and problem solving skills.
- Be a motivated, highly dependable individual.
- Ability to research new designs, technologies, and construction methods of data center equipment and facilities.
- Ability to carry new design concepts through exploration, development, and into deployment/construction.
- An ability and willingness to think outside of the box to find creative and innovative solutions to reduce costs with no impact on quality, reliability, or maintainability.
- Possess excellent communication skills, attention to detail, maintain high quality standards.
This position requires the applicant selected to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance with Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI) eligibility and access. A US Government administered polygraph examination will be required. TS/SCI eligibility is not required to start; however, the applicant selected will be subject to a Single-Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified national security information. Applicants with a current SSBI, SBPR, or PPR, may be eligible for crossover in accordance with ICPG 704.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
- 1-2 years of experience directly related to data center or mission critical facility design.
- Professional Engineering License.
- Familiarity with medium voltage distribution systems design.
- Detailed understanding of uninterruptable power sources, diesel generators, electrical switchgear, power distribution units, variable frequency drives, and automatic/static transfer switches.
- Direct experience with the construction, operation, or maintenance of data centers.
- Basic understanding of mechanical equipment and system design.
- Experience with fast track design/build projects and or multiple significant upgrade projects.
- Experience with large scale technical operations or large-scale compute farms.
- Knowledge of building codes and regulations including Life Safety, IBC, NFPA, NEC, and OSHA.