Navy Data Center Consolidation - MS SQL Database Engineer in Charleston, SC (Secret Clearance Required)
This position will require expertise to install, update, and maintain MS-SQL 2005/2008, MySQL, commercial application servers, and related COTS software to support OLTP/OLAP data architectures at the enterprise level. Will assist with development of system technical architecture as it relates to database management software, data distribution management software, transaction processing monitors, and associated middleware. Candidate will be responsible for database recovery, integrity, availability, scalability, and performance. We are seeking a candidate with a MCDBA certification and experience in the full range of architecture, engineering, and process experience in the migration of data architecture and databases to new environments. Ideal candidate will also be experienced with STIGs and Retina scanning and have or be prepared to obtain a Security+ certification.
Essential Job Functions
- Participates in client/project meeting(s) for needs assessment and design review. Analyzes the needs and requirements of users of existing and proposed database systems and develops technical, structural and organizational specifications to include access methods, access time, job control language, statistical methodologies, device allocation, validation checks, protection and security.
- Designs, develops, implements and maintains moderately complex database for internal and external users/clients.
- Creates, documents and implements standards and/or modeling to monitor and enhance the capacity and performance of the database. Programs and writes codes as necessary. Develops data import and export routines to automate data loading. Builds windows, screens and reports.
- Performs analyses and reviews complex applications being released into production. Develops test application code in client server environments to ensure that software conforms to build management practices.
- Develops back-up and recovery procedures and data archive/purge procedures. Creates supporting technical documentation.
- Remains abreast of and analyzes new and emerging technologies and tools for applicability to field. Prepares reports and/or recommendations of new and/or changing processes/products.
- Provides leadership and work guidance to less experienced personnel.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science, business administration, software engineering or related field preferred
- Seven or more years of database engineering, design, development experience
- Experience working with relational data modeling
- Experience working with data warehousing
- Experience working with relational databases such as SQL, PL/SQL, Oracle, etc.
- Experience working with database development methodologies, design and implementation
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Good communication skills
- Good personal computer and business solutions software skills
- Good, demonstrated skills in using a Windows development language, programming or scripting such as VBScript, COM, COM+, XML, Java, Perl, etc.
- Good interpersonal and human relations skills to interact with clients and less experienced personnel
- Ability to comprehend and integrate business unit/client needs into appropriate database system